Is the Instant Pot the best thing to ever happen to your kitchen?
I am trying out the Instant Pot for the first time after seeing posts and articles about it for the past 6 months. According to the internet it is the BEST THING EVER.
To start, I will be making a few specific items: plain brown rice, hard boiled eggs, a whole "roasted" chicken, chicken stock, pulled pork and pepper steak.
Results so far:
- Hard boiled eggs - so easy and quick with the Instant Pot! The eggs came out perfectly cooked and very easy to peel.
- Pulled Pork - The pork turned out very well. It was tasty and tender. The pork shoulder did take about 2 hours total to cook but that is still a significant time savings.
- Pepper Steak - This was the best new meal I have made in years. I used a recipe found here with some minor adjustments. Next time, I will double the meat, peppers and onions so there is enough for another dinner.
- Chicken stock - after cooking a whole chicken, I used the bones to make a very easy stock in about a third of the time it would have taken on the stove top.
The not terrible but not great
- Brown rice - I have made rice twice so far. The first time, there was extra water after cooking so the next time, I simply used less water and the rice came out very well. On the other hand, by the time the pressure cooker comes up to pressure, cooks the rice, and you let it release for 15 minutes, it is not a big time saver.
Also, if your rice is to go with something you are also cooking in the Instant Pot (like pepper steak) it is probably best to just cook it on the stove top.
- Whole chicken - the chicken was fine - but it was just not as tasty as an oven roasted chicken (even with browning it prior to the pressure cooking.)
Continue following me for updates on using the Instant Pot. I have many more recipes to try!